EDIT 04/21/09: New and improved tutorial here!
Aww, we start with this nice, pretty wig. It used to be my Rosette wig, and it was my Namine wig (but I got a new one that's cooler), and now it is going to be sacrificed to MOON. I bought a few colors of extensions to see which color would match the closest; this was the "Honey Light" color from Dr. Locks. Amphigory and Dr. Locks have similar color choices, so they're probably the best place to get supplies.
Also... Amphigory has a new wig that's already in curly pigtails (really good for Parakiss stuff, I hear), so I may try using that next time.
OH HORRORS, but look at that back! HIDEOUS!!!
But what is this? The beginnings of ODANGO. HAR HAR HAR!!
Time has passed... The wefts to fix the back have been installed... stitched in lovingly by hand, after lovingly being caulked together... And then set in place.
She is ready...
It is time.
WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!
Well, I stubbed it, so I can put those silly styrofoam balls on.
Stitching around the little 'ponytails' for the buns. I found, much to my dismay, that the elastics would snap after a while... Either get stronger ones, or use upholstery thread like I did.
Both tails, pre-odango.
Preparing to ODANGO (get it? Like FANDANGO? Whatever).
This was probably the hardest part about it. I had to take little sections at a time, 'heatseal' them with hotglue and my... uh... fingers. I'm honestly surprised I don't have blisters. My thumb hurts though. ;_; So either get a heatsealer, or use a pair of pliers or something.
Then each section would get tucked inside the styrofoam ball and glued in place. Again, MY FINGERS OWOWOW.
OMG ALL DONE. You've really gotta be patient. Doing just one took me about 45 minutes. Work with small sections so it can all be even. Hairspray will help, too.
With one, anyway. AUGH.
Tail and odango added to one side. I had to trim down the stubs alot to get the odango to fit. I didn't want to carve any more out of the inside of the ball. They're also stitched down a bit, I like to think it's very stable.
The application of the pigtails was similar, they're just stitched on, with their ends a lot like the tails before they went into the odango. I should have made a little 'dent' in the hole of the odango so the tail would have a place to sit. It doesn't look too bad though, from the front.
PLZ ignore my lack of makeup, flushed face, and no pins to keep my hair under the wig. I need to curl the bangs and little wispy things, and the ends of the tails a little, but overall, I'm pretty pleased. For a prototype, I think it's pretty passable.
Acen is up in less than a week now, and I've still got a lot to do! If you'll be there, please keep a look out for me, and if you like, attend my Final Fantasy Cosplay and Stage Presence panels! See you there! =D